Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Hippo's Wings

The hippo’s wings! What? 

That is the same reaction I had to Jackson Pollock at work on his splatter of paint in the image on page 87 of our text. 


Now, most may frown upon his method of making money. I consider him a lucky chap. Ask me to have fun splashing buckets of paint and mediums onto a canvas 50 times my size and get paid big monies for it and I just may say, “Ok.”

No doubt Pollack enjoys his work. I too enjoy looking at it. I also consider it art. Much like one may consider eating cotton candy while swaying to and fro on a swing an art form. This of course is headed toward a tangent as one may argue that physics is an art and so on but from now on we will stick to the conventional visual arts in this post.

Do I consider it an art of talent? Meh, not really. Kudos to him for making it big with his work but I will not appreciate his so-called skill more than the slightly-creepy-yet-still-talented painter Salvador Dali and his artistic methods in Persistance de la Mémoire. 

This image maintains such fine brush stokes that the painting as a whole appears to be a photograph.

Though Pollock instills the “What!?” factor I automatically picture Lavender Mist hanging in a modern room expanding the sophistication and edgy-look to the space. If I were an interior designer it would be Pollock’s works and those of his contemporizes that I would seek out to complete a look for a client.

Apparently, this hippo has wings.

Till next time.

1 comment:

  1. I do not know Laura, I would want Persistance de la Mémoire in my house over all those speckles. Lavender Mist looks more like something that I would want to have beneath my feet instead of before my eyes. I honestly have to say that it just looks like a slab of some mineral or stone with awesome designs in it. I think I would prefer Pollock to paint the walls, and floor of my house using his action painting technique than just have it cover some of the wall. I bet he would even enjoy it more having such a large "canvas" to work with.

    ReplyDelete